Tuesday, January 2, 2018

The Firewalking Festival

In early December my friends and I visited Akiba Shrine and found out about the firewalking festival to be held a few weeks later.  My friends were unable to attend the festival, so I went alone.  The  long street leading up to the shrine was packed with many food and game booths. (I apologize for the poor pictures.  It was night with no flash).









After entering the shrine area, there was more to see and do and eat.





I was surprised to see so many air gun booths.  I suppose guns are interesting to people because you can't have real ones here.




This would later be lit on fire for the firewalking.







There were many firemen around, but this was the only fire hose I saw.




At 8 pm, the parade started.  I have no idea what this was all about, but the men all walked up the big hill of steps to the old shrine on top.




When they came back down, they lit the fire. It was very smoky and many embers flew up in the air, landing on the watchers. Talk about dangerous!


















When the fire burned down, the coals were spread out and more wood added.







Let the firewalking begin...

























I know, this is wild.  Have you ever seen anyone walking through fire?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG Pamela not the sort of thing that i want to do,i wonder why they did it,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

The Chilly Hollow Needlepoint Adventure said...

I've never seen fire walking but the Snake Handlers in the mountains in the TN/KY/VA/WVA nexus handle poisonous snakes and drink poison as part of their religious practices. I imagine this is somewhat similar. (No, I never saw any snake handling as my parents thought it was libel to be dangerous and I was never allowed to go although cousins belong.)

diamondc said...

Pamela: Happy New Year, I have never seen fire walking, this freaked me out, Mike is recovering from second and third degree burns from a wok fire, he was seasoning a wok the beginning of October it caught on fire and burnt him so sad.
I do hope you have a Blessed New Year, I look forward to seeing the progress on your projects.

Blessings
Catherine

Queeniepatch said...

I have only seen it on TV. It must have been scary to see it is person, not to mention to do the walking!

Brigitte said...

Seems to be very interesting. I think I would take a bite at every food booth :)

MartinaM said...

Oh my goodness, that's not for me. I like fire, candles or the fireplace. But go through it? no thanks.
Martina

Vireya said...

Amazing!

Leonore Winterer said...

Wow, that's a big fire! And then walking through it with those long robes...that's some confidence!