Thursday, January 5, 2017

Okinawan Weaving Class

The second craft class I took in Naha was a weaving class.  I made a "tea mat", like a coaster but a little bigger. This type of weaving and cloth was once reserved for the royalty of the Ryukyus.  I took the class at the Naha City Traditional Arts and Craft Center.  On a previous trip to Okinawa, I took a glass blowing class at this center.  See the last half of this post.   



 For this class, I chose colors and a pattern and one of the weavers from the studio showed me how to make the pattern, then stood nearby to make sure I did it correctly. Can you see the pattern of the raised white threads?  If I had the space, I would love to have a loom and take up weaving. 



My finished tea mat.



12 comments:

D1-D2 said...

A lovely piece. The colors are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela,wow this is a lovely mat,how clever to weave your own ,love the colours.

NADINE said...

It's gorgeous, Pamela ! And so precious, as you weaved it yourself...

In stitches,
Nadine

Janie said...

That is beautiful weaving, Pamela. Great results for a class project.
Weaving is fascinating.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Just gorgeous. I have always wanted to weave. the best I can do is to have made a loom out of a picture frame and went from there. Of course I don't have room for a proper loom nor the funds to buy one. I always have to weigh the cost against what I would do with all the items I weaved. What is wrong with me, I don't know. I should just be able to take joy in a project but my personality requires me to have a purpose, so to speak.

I absolutely love your mat.
xx, Carol

Queeniepatch said...

WOW! That is really beautiful. No wonder the royals wanted to be the only ones to have such beauty!
Weaving is relaxing, but can be a bit boring, too, I think.

Daniela said...

wow!!!!!! this work is fantastic!!!!! congratulations!!!!!!

Melinda Forbes said...

That is beautiful - your mat. I was able to play at weaving at our State Fair last Summer. I think it is fascinating. Your mat is so pretty

kiwikid said...

That is beautiful Pamela, inspiring stuff.

chitra said...

Very beautiful mat. good work!

Von said...

How wonderful! Your little mat is beautiful.

Brigitte said...

This such a beauty, Pamela. And the weaving pattern seems to be very old, which makes the piece even more precious.