Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Japanese Language Teachers

I’ve written before about the Japanese language class I take once a week. I really enjoy the class, my classmates, and all of the teachers.  The volunteer teachers are part of the Hokkaido International Women’s Association and are all such patient and generous women. (The teachers probably wish I would stitch less and study more, but they never say so.)

Frequently, I am the recipient of omiage and other Japanese food treats.

 
This week, one of the teachers gave me this Japanese persimmon (kaki). I had never seen these in the US, but they are very popular in the fall here.




One of the Japanese language teachers brought me these beautiful fall flowers last week and they are still looking fresh. We don't have an appropriate vase, so a tin will have to do.  We have them in the middle of our home and are enjoying them immensely.

Another of the teachers invited me to her square dance group.  I attended once in September and again yesterday.  Most people in the US are exposed to square dancing in school physical education classes or at summer camp or scouts, as I was. I always enjoyed square dancing but it was a long time ago that I last danced.  After the first time I attended the Sapporo Hearts dance group, I was sure they wouldn't want me back because I was so bad, but they did invite me back again. The teacher who invited me even wrote down the train schedule for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the dancing and the dancers.

I am thankful every day for the opportunity to be here and for the kindness of the people I meet here.

1 comment:

Queeniepatch said...

I am so glad to hear you enjoy life in Japan, and I am sure anyone who meets you, enjoys spending time with you! Happy Dancing!