Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Birdhouse Contest

This weekend is the 12th annual Birdhouse Contest at the Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, North Carolina.  I encourage you to stop in and take a look if you are close to Raleigh and can go to see them. http://www.ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/calendar/event_details.php?ID=448  
I’m in Japan and won’t be entering a birdhouse in the competition this year. I did make and enter birdhouses the last three years, so I’ll show you those houses. No birds are actually living in my houses.

In 2009, I made the Beady House for Petite Birds. The house has over 18,000 beads and the tree approximately 9500 beads.  The base of the house is about 3 inches by 3 inches. This was the description: “Just listed! Energy-efficient new construction on corner lot with mature shade tree in great neighborhood!  Cozy, plush interior with large windows and flower boxes.  Perfect starter home for young couple.  Own this home for just a song and move in today!”




In 2010, I made Living in a Crazy World, which is my favorite of these three.




Last year, 2011, I made the Girl Scout Platform Tent, patterned after my years at summer camp.




I have ideas for other bird homes.  They just haven’t made it from my head to the needle and thread yet.

No comments: