Thursday, September 10, 2015

How to Make a Pin Keep

After posting about pin cushions the other day, a couple of people asked me about the pin keeps I had made..  While making three to give as gifts, I took some photos and will show how to make them. (This is the same technique I use to make ornaments).

You can make them any shape; these will be circles.  I trace the shape onto heavy cardboard and thin batting.  For these I used a crazy quilt front, but you can use cross stitch or hardanger or any other needlework or even plain fabric.  I trace the shape onto the base fabric and follow the line with a running stitch, so I can see how far to embellish.
 

After completing the stitching, I use heavy thread to do a running stitch a little larger than the circle, then pull it tight to cover the cardboard and batting.
(Same thing for the front and back). 

 
I use a little piece of ribbon for the hanger and attach it before I put the two sides together. 
 
Using a ladder stitch, I put the front and back together.  When the thread is pulled tight, the stitches are barely visible. 
 
 
The pins slide in between the two sides, making it perfect for carrying around without getting stuck by the pins. 
 
 
 Here are the three I made.  If you give it a try, leave a comment with a link to your pin keep so others can see.


10 comments:

D1-D2 said...

Very cute! Thank you for the tutorial.

Janie said...

I agree, very cute, I'll give that a try and see what I can come up with. Thanks Pamela.

rosey175 said...

How interesting! I never seem to have scraps of pretty fabric laying around. I especially love the blue one.

Manuela said...

Thank you for this wonderful tutorial.
Greetings, Manuela

KimM said...

Oh my - a wonderful tutorial - thank you for putting it together and sharing!
xxx

Marie said...

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Lin said...

Great Pamela - thanks. Something else to put on my to do list!! xx

Brigitte said...

Great tutorial, Pamela. Thanks.

Renee said...

Your pin keeps are beautiful! Thank you for sharing such a great tutorial!

DUTA said...

Pamela, you should put your tutorials on You Tube. They'll get much deserved popularity.