Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Twelve Months to the Double Nickel - October Edition

Since my uterine cancer diagnosis, I’ve been reading a lot about it on the internet.  Just about every site has a list of risk factors.  Most don’t seem to have anything to do with me, but two that jump out for me are never having been pregnant and being overweight.  Even if I were guaranteed never to get cancer if I had been pregnant, I still wouldn’t change that one.  Being overweight is another story.  My BMI has put me in the overweight category for longer than I want to admit.  Although I would have preferred to be thinner, I was able to function without any problems; I even completed marathons.  I knew I was too heavy, but I didn’t feel so heavy that it was hurting me.  It looks like I was wrong.

My baby step for this month is to start to work my way back to a normal BMI.  I’m not going to diet or do anything drastic.  I’m going to try to make good food choices and watch my portion size, as well as continue to walk and work on the other changes I’ve been trying to make this year, (with the exception of sit-ups for now – maybe I’ll add them back in next month.)  My goal for the month is to lose two kilos (about 4 and a half pounds). 

If you are interested in finding out what your own BMI is, check out this calculator.

6 comments:

Elizabeth Braun said...

That's very sensible, Pamela. Restrictive diets are notoriously temporary as people always slip back to bad habits, but making long-term changes is the way to go. gambatte kudasai!=)

Judith said...

Thanks for the link, it is always a good idea to have this knowledge. I think you taken a very sensible route with your months goal ... J

Anonymous said...

♥♥♥

Thoeria said...

That's the right approach to weight loss Pamela. Belive me I've tried the short cuts and it's just not worth it when it comes back as soon as you stop the diet! Sensible choices ...healthy eating and moderate excercise...2kilos is achievable!

Queeniepatch said...

I, too, am convinced that this is achievable, by taking baby steps and keeping to the new portion sizes and food choices for the rest of your life. Exercise is beneficial for so many other reasons you really should make that a every day habit, too.
Good luck.

Anonymous said...

Your attitude is proactive and your goals are realistic. Better food choices will also boost the immune system to fight inflammation and abnormality in cells. It's all about good nutrition in addition to portion control, and less fat. This combined with increasing the frequency of exercise instead of the intensity or duration will also help as you are healing. Don't be too hard on yourself, there is also the genetic piece which sometimes trumps what we do.