Sunday, November 24, 2013

Hardanger Progress

This week, two people were ready to start cutting and the other was finishing her kloster blocks. Here are my directions for the cutters.

 
I just can’t explain this in Japanese. I demonstrated with my own piece and they were ready.  With scissors in hand they were giggling and saying it was muzukashi (difficult) and kowai (scary).
 
 
I was happy that no one cut the wrong thread. Even though I could fix my own if I cut the wrong thread, I don’t know how to explain how to fix it.

Our project only uses wrapped bars, but I pulled out this practice piece to show examples of other fillings. 


I think they were happy with their progress for the day. I am.


5 comments:

Tammy said...

That is absolutely beautiful! They did great job! It's always scary the first cut of the thread from the first project to the tenth. Well done!

Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tammy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Margaret said...

Pamela, I am amazed! You can teach hardanger to Japanese women without knowing Japanese perfectly. Well done. Atama wo sagemasu (+ I bow my head to your superiority) :-) Your pupils look so proud of themselves . I hope your grin was ear to ear as well.

Queeniepatch said...

I, too, would find it 'kowai' to put scissors to my embroidery. With your easy to understand illustration I am sure all went well.