Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Books and Beads

I’ve written before about how much I like my Japanese language class, even though I’m not very good at it.  Recently, I have noticed our teacher speaking and reading faster and encouraging us to do the same.  She must hate listening to our one-syllable-at-a-time robot speak.  Sometimes (often) I write my book's hiragana and katakana out in romaji ahead of time, in an attempt to be able to read faster in class, even though I know this isn’t helping.  I happened upon a giant book fair in the underground eki mae dori in Sapporo the other day and bought six children’s books for 100 yen each. A happy elderly Japanese man helped me pick them out.  I told him I wanted katanna hon (easy books) with no kanji. Two of the books read from back to front and he said they are traditional Japanese stories.  My plan is to try to read them out loud at home (try is the key word here) to improve my reading and speaking in class.




My teacher finished her bead necklace and wore it to class this week.  She is very pleased with it and I am very happy she liked making it.  The teachers who made this necklace said it was much easier than the beads and cross stitch on perforated paper that they made before this one!


2 comments:

Margaret said...

Oh I do sympathise with you. It is ever so much easier to read roman letters than katakana, hiragana or kanji. Good luck with your practice.

Queeniepatch said...

You have found some charming books! I hope the books will help you practise your Japanese reading skills. I used children's stories, too, at first. One problem can be that there is no gap between the words and it is impossible to understand where to make a little pause. The book on the top left, 'Akai kasa', has a space between 'red' and 'umbrella'. Hopefully the rest of the text is spaced, too, for easy understanding. Good luck!