Friday, November 22, 2013

A Walk Down the Street

I was in Sapporo the other day, on my way to a shop that had been recommended to me and I snapped a few pictures as I walked down the street.

This was hanging outside a popular hamburger restaurant chain that specializes in fresh ingredients, MosBurger. None of these sandwiches look like burgers to me.

 
This shrine is in the middle of a busy commercial shopping area.

 
Little packages of tissues are often handed out in Japan, as advertising, I suppose. 

 
This store Christmas decoration (maybe it’s a tree?) has a paper turkey dinner and paper donuts on it.

 
This is my destination, Mariya Handcrafts.

 
What a beautiful shop! I didn’t buy anything on this visit, but I’m certain I will be back. They have many craft books, especially stitching books, in all languages.  There is one whole section of hardanger books. They have bolts of beautiful linens and banded linens in many different widths.  (I’m picturing a stitched purse out of some tan banded linen I saw that looked to be about 12 inches wide.) On another floor they had spinning and weaving and dyeing supplies, as well as Japanese silk print fabrics. I’m sure I will be back.

2 comments:

Margaret said...

How fortunate you are to have found this Aladdin's cave - even just looking at beautiful needlework supplies is a refreshment to the spirit isn't it?

Queeniepatch said...

What a wonderful shop. I bet you want to return!
Isn't it fascinating to just walk down the street in an unknown area and see all the fantastic details. Aren't the mascots adorable and quaint?