Sunday, April 28, 2013

Week of Gold

The upcoming week is known as Golden Week in Japan.  There are four national holidays during the week, so many people take this week for vacation time.  This week is one of the three busiest times to travel in Japan, the others being New Year’s and the middle of August (Obon). April 29th is Showa Day, a day to reflect upon the events of the Showa period and to honor the former emperor. May 3rd is Constitution Day to commemorate the day Japan’s postwar constitution took effect.  May 4th is Greenery Day, a day to commune with nature and be thankful for one’s blessings. May 5th is Children’s Day, a day to esteem the personalities of children and plan for their happiness.  Because Children’s Day falls on a Sunday this year, the holiday is observed on Monday.

My English classes will not be held this week because of the holidays, so I have more time to stitch! My neighbor and I are currently working on a small crazy quilt project, but she is out of town for the week.  Here is a finished version of the project that I made many years ago. I call this a penny purse; she calls it a saifu (wallet).

 


We will be ready to start the embellishing when we meet next. This is my patchwork.
 


I plan to work on my new project this week. I think the yellow yo-yo’s I have been working on look like gold nuggets.  Appropriate for Golden Week, no?

2 comments:

Sun City Stitcher said...

nice!

Margaret said...

My you have been busy. The yo-yos look very autumn like - we have blizzards of that colour leaves at present.