Saturday, April 27, 2013

Circles and More Circles

Were you surprised by the fabrics I showed yesterday?  It’s true, the colors aren’t what I usually work with.  I tend to gravitate toward blues and cool colors. This is about as far away as one can get from my usual colors. I might add other fabrics and I’m sure I’ll need to add some embellishments.

So, what could I be making?  I saw a sort of shawl like thing on a mannequin in a store window in Sapporo a while back and have been thinking about it ever since.  It was bright and open and made up of circles.  I don’t know if it was an actual garment for sale or if it was just window dressing, but I liked it.  In Hokkaido, you have to wear a lot of thick, warm, functional, dull garments because it’s winter for such a long time.   I want to make a shawl of bright open colorful circles. We’ll see how it works out.

I tried out two different sizes of yo-yo’s for the circles, using my scrapbooking circles.  I decided on the smaller size, even though it means I’ll need more circles. My rough guess is that I’ll need about 350 circles, maybe more.  I have cut 300 so far.

 

I’m not done cutting circles, let alone making up the yo-yo’s and I’m already thinking about adding beads and other embellishments.

1 comment:

Margaret said...

I am in awe of your aspirations! I cannot begin to think of the hundreds of hours of time you will put into this. Perhaps you should consider entering the NZ World of Wearable Arts?