Sunday, November 4, 2012

A Warm Winter in Hokkaido?

JapanToday.com reports that Japan will see a warmer than average winter this year.  This is good news!  With only two of 50 commercial nuclear reactors in operation after last year’s earthquake and tsunami, Japan has been making efforts to conserve energy. None of the three reactors in Hokkaido is in operation. The article states that Hokkaido has the heaviest snowfall in the region and has temperatures of minus 40 degrees Celsius.

We’ve heard that snow has already fallen in several areas in the US, including the North Carolina mountains. This is the opposite of last year’s mild winter there.  Maybe we will have the opposite of last year’s winter here too.  Time will tell.

Sonoko
This needlepoint ornament was an ANG chapter project in Raleigh several years ago.  I didn’t even get the outline basted. The designer is Mary Polityka Bush and the project was published in the November/December 1989 Needlepoint Plus. Maybe I can finish it before Christmas this year.
 

4 comments:

Margaret said...

How appropriate to be stitching Sonoko in Hokkaido! Did you bring a huge stash of linen and supplies with you? I don't remember there be anything available when I lived in Otaru in 1981-82 but things will have changed in that time I'm sure. Look forward to the progress reports on this stitch.

Pamela said...

I brought a large number of unfinished projects, in addition to a fair amount of fabric, canvas, threads, and other stitching items. We plan to be here for years and I didn't know what would be available. So far I have only purchased some sashiko supplies and a piece of tulle here.

Margaret said...

Pamela,can you make a wish list somewhere on your blog sometime. Christmas is coming and Santa's elves would appreciate hints (ha ha)

Pamela said...

Margaret,

A wish list is very difficult. I am very fortunate to be in Hokkaido with my many unfinished projects and with time to work on them.