Friday, December 23, 2011

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas

It’s beginning to look alot like Christmas, and not just because of the snow.


Christmas is not a Japanese holiday, but the American Christmas is creeping into the culture here, too.

Santa Claus has come to town.
Ted volunteered to be Santa Claus and pass out presents at a nearby Kindgergarten.  (I guess that makes me Mrs. Claus). In Japan, Santa doesn’t have a moustache and he doesn’t say “Ho Ho Ho”, he rings hand bells.  Some of the children were excited and some frightened. The children all said thank you, some in English and some in Japanese.






In the evening we went to a Christmas concert at the University, put on by the second year music students. It was very entertaining.  The students wore Christmas decorations and played Christmas songs, singing in Japanese. I knew what the words were in English and it was odd to hear Japanese words in their place.





Ice Candles completed
The ice candles turned out very nice.




I finished the Caterina de’Medici project. 



I see a couple of mistakes, but that’s okay.  I wanted to try this, but it’s probably not a technique that I’ll be doing more of.  The thread is thick and the fabric is coarse. It’s so nice to finish a project!


1 comment:

Kathryn Farrago (almost!) said...

I am really enjoying hearing about your new life! The details and pictures are fascinating. I can't wait to get the emails and see what your next adventure is.

hugs to you and Jones Sensei/Santa!